MALAWI INSTITUTE OF PROCUREMENT & SUPPLY
Promoting Professionalism in Procurement in Malawi
FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION MANAGER
The Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS) is the regulatory body for the procurement and supply chain management profession in Malawi established under the Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply Act No.3 of 2016.
The Institute is mandated to register and regulate procurement and supply chain management (PSCM) professionals by, among others, promoting professional standards and practice among PSCM professionals; ensuring transparency, integrity, accountability and fairness in all matters of PSCM in organizations; protecting the financial interests of the government, private sector and general public; maintaining annual registration and providing certificates of practice for all PSCM professionals in Malawi and advising training institutions and training providers in matters relating to the PSCM profession.
The Institute is recruiting a highly motivated, qualified and skilled person for the vacant position of FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION MANAGER (FAM) for a three-years renewable contract tenable at its offices in Lilongwe.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Finance and Administration Manager will be responsible for provision of effective financial and budget management, human resources management, information technology, and administrative functions of the Institute.
The duties of FAM shall include the following:
- Strategic planning
• Development of corporate strategy for the Institute, cascading of the strategy into departmental operational strategies and plans; engagement of staff in strategy implementation; annual, mid-
term and quarterly strategy implementation reviews; and relationship building with other management members.
• Development of an organizational culture that reflects the Institute’s values, promotes accountability and high performance, and enables staff to deliver outstanding results for procurement and supply chain professionals, donors and other stakeholders.
• Investments management for the Institute including investment appraisals, as well as advising both the Chief Executive Officer, Senior Management Team and the Board on all matters pertaining to organization and general administration of the Institute.
• Represent the Institute on financial matters involving government and other stakeholders.
- Accounting and reporting
• Reviewing financial statements prepared by the Finance and Administration Officer.
• Coordinating the preparation and review of all financial reports.
• Responsible for treasury functions and approving cash and bank reconciliations.
• Monitoring office disbursements and ensuring expenses are within budget.
• Strengthening internal controls, policies and procedures and ensuring risk management and compliance for the Institute in all pertinent matters.
• Ensuring monthly financial management reports are produced timely for decision making.
• Initiating required audits, participate in audit entry and exit meetings, ensure provision of documents required by auditors, ensure smooth audit and ensure recommendations are implemented.
• Managing electronic and virtual banking systems and platforms.
- Budgeting and forecasting
• Preparing the Institute’s master budget and financial forecasts.
• Implementing the Institute’s financial management and budgeting policies and procedures.
• Budget management including timely reviews of budget consumption to ensure that expenditures are in line with work plans and commitments.
• Monitoring budgets versus actual spending, noting and intervening on variances by recommending resolutions and reallocation of resources.
- Information, communication, and technology systems management
• Development and rolling out ICT annual planning and standard operating procedures.
• Designing and implementing a disaster recovery plan with emphasis on data storage, security and backup services.
• Supervising the Management Information Systems Officer in the provision of IT support, network operations, security, capacity building and delivery of technologies/innovation to
make IT an enabler for the achievement of the Institute’s strategy.
- Administration and human resources management
• Provision of advice to managers and staff on interpretation and application of administration and human resources policies and procedures.
• Ensuring that all administration and human resources operations aspects are delivered according to best practice and in compliance with policies of the Institute.
• Development and review of administration and human resources policies, procedures and ensuring compliance with human resources legislation.
• Provision of support in implementing polices and processes on matters related to resourcing, performance management, remuneration, training and development and employee relations.
• Maintaining records for capital assets and oversee the annual physical inventory of assets and reconciliation to accounting records.
• Ensure the recruitment and appropriate professional development of staff as appropriate.
• Managing staff performance through:
– establishment of measurable objectives and fair and unbiased performance systems.
– handling unsatisfactory performance with appropriate performance improvement plans
– coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities.
– recognition and rewarding for outstanding performance.
Applicants should meet all the following qualification requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in accountancy or finance from an institution of higher learning accredited by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
• Master’s degree in accountancy, finance, business administration or any in relevant business management field from an institution of higher learning accredited by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
• Professional qualification and membership with CIMA/CGMA or ACCA or ICAEW or ICAM or other relevant accounting and finance professional qualifications.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• 7 years’ similar work experience, 3 of which should be at management level in a busy organisation
• Excellent understanding and working experience of SAGE accounting system is a must-have.
• Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budget management
• Demonstrable experience in administration and human resources management.
• Substantial experience in managing and developing a diverse team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others.
Interested candidates should submit their applications with detailed CVs electronically to Mipsceo@mips.mw. Closing time and date for receiving applications is 16:00Hrs on Friday, 17th March 2023.
More details about the job descriptions and requirements can be accessed from our website: www.mips.mw
MIPS is an equal opportunity employer, as such ladies are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.